Saturday, April 21, 2012

Our New Church

Jeff took us to see a large, old church in a little village. I have never seen anything as old as the inside of that church. Everyone is looking up in the first picture because it feels like the whole building might come crumbling down any minute.

The church, St. Catherine's, sits in the small village of Lyalichi. Lyalichi was a "Royal village." The village was given to Count Zavadovsky for his loyalty to Catherine the Great during her reign. The Count built the church and dedicated it to the Empress. The ruins of Zavadovsky's estate are just down the road from the church. His estate was referred to as "a little piece of St. Petersburg" because the buildings were so stately and the grounds so beautiful.

I can't believe we were there.



 

1 comment:

sariah said...

I can't believe you guys are there either! What an amazing experience! I'm so glad you're posting lots of pictures.

Did you hear we are moving back to Grand View? Taking our 3rd trailer load today. It won't be the same without you guys! Taylor is not too happy that Justin's not there this time. Joel got an operator job so we're there as long as want to be.....
Oh and you know what is funny? We're moving back into the same house so it is very de ja vu. Only all the kids are a foot taller......