Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Middle of the Night in Russia

Here are some pictures of what we did on New Year's. Jeff and Justin were at another ranch receiving new cattle, so they weren't with us.
 
New Year's is a HUGE holiday in Russia. People put up New Year's trees instead of Christmas trees. They don't celebrate Christmas until January 7th and it is not a big holiday. On New Year's people gather at the village's Lenin Square (every village has a Lenin Square) for a BIG celebration after midnight.  I woke everyone up at 2am and we went to the Square to see what was going on. Jasper had just gotten home at 10pm and he was up all night the night before receiving cattle. I woke him up to go with us anyway. Lights were on in many of the houses as we drove through the village. People, families, teenagers and couples were walking to the Square. On the Square they were playing music and people were dancing. People were setting off fireworks.
 
A Russian ambulance. You can barely see Lenin's statue above Jasper's shoulder. I couldn't get a good picture of it. I didn't want to draw attention to myself getting a close up of the statue. Lenin is  the reason Russia does not celebrate Christmas. The Soviet Union banned Christmas celebrations, so the people moved their celebrations to New Year's and the holiday became more secularized.


Grandfather Frost and the Snow Maiden made an appearance.





The New Year's tree on the Square.
These pictures aren't the best, but it gives you an idea of their celebration. We didn't stay long. I guess the party lasted into the morning hours. Jeff's interpreter said she didn't get home until 7am.

No comments: